How can I tell if I’m living in a flood zone?

No standard property insurance policy will cover damage caused by a flood. This includes flooding from any source, including a river, pond, ocean or even outside drains. 

That means that if you want your home protected if there is a flood, you will need to purchase a separate flood insurance policy. The people living in a flood zone are in the most danger, although about one out of five flood claims come from areas outside of the highest risk zones. At The Policy Source, we can help residents in Austin, TX assess their own personal risks based on their location and its history.

Searching for Information about Flood Zones

The government makes it easy to check whether your home is in a high-risk flood area. 

The map is easy to read and tells whether your home is in a minimal risk area of one of the higher risk zones. According to the site, just being in a high-risk zone means you are more likely to experience a flood than fire in the next 30 years.

Other Effects of Living in a Flood Zone

The value of your property can be seriously affected even if your home is never damaged by flooding, just by nature of being in a high-risk location. Flood insurance in a very high-risk area could also be expensive. Even if you don’t want it, you will be forced to purchase flood insurance if you are in a high-risk area and you have a government-financed loan.

If you are in Austin, TX and need help finding out your risk, or if you want to discuss an insurance policy, feel free to call The Policy Source today.